I saw this top on TV and thought it was so cute I stopped the show to look at it. I liked the 2 rows of contrasting trim around the contrasting yolk. It looked like the neck facing was on the front instead of inside the top! I was so happy I figured out a way to make it!
I have a Simplicity pattern 8061 that looks like the style I saw on TV, and easy to sew. I made it out of muslin first to check the fit and was glad I did the muslin because the top fit ok except it was too high on the neck in front, like it was practically choking me. Then I tried again with some polyester fabric and cut the neck edge down about 3/4 ” from the original pattern. It was more comfortable to wear, but still could go lower. The pattern also has a low scooped neckline, a V neck and a square neck, but I wanted the higher round one. A lot of times the piece I sew doesn’t come out looking just like the picture on the pattern.
After I changed the neckline on the front pattern piece, I also had to draw new facing pieces to fit my alterations. Then, do the bias trim on the facing top and bottom, sew the front of the facing to the wrong side of the top. When you flip it, it looks like a pieced yolk with trim, but it’s really only a facing.
I’m going to do it again with the facing on the front in contrasting colors, and alter the pattern one more time. This time, I want to lower the neck edge a little more and lower the armholes about 1″ too. Then it will be perfect for me.
Then I want to do the Mondrian top again in my favorite colors with this pattern.