slipcover and sewing machine repair

img_1844Artists sometimes switch their medium. I feel like sewing lately. Sewing is an art form too. This chair neeeeeeded a new slipcover. I loved the sheen on this fabric. My daughter called it mermaid fabric. It’s kind of iridescent with purple and blue. It will probably hold up better than my last slipcover because it’s a tight weave with a cotton backing. I got it at UFab on sale for $17 a yard. That’s cheap for upholstery fabric.

Every time I make a slipcover, I think of my dear departed mother in law, Jackie Hill, who taught me to do slipcovers. She learned from her mother and wanted to pass the skill on to my generation but she had 3 boys. One reason she liked me more than she liked her other daughters in law was because I can sew. I wasn’t real gung ho to learn at the time, because I had a sewing job and was tired of sewing when I got home. I knew it would be difficult. Now I’m glad she taught me because I could make a living doing slipcovers if I wanted to, and for $150 invested in fabric, I can have a chair that looks like new. It’s not easy though. I scoot around on the floor a lot to cut it, so I’d rather not sew for customers these days.img_1843

This photo shows the sewing machine head tilted back and the oil pan underneath, with a sample of the cork I used to make a gasket on the bottom left.

I didn’t sew for a couple years, and when I looked at the old gasket, I knew the machine would leak oil like crazy. The gasket looked like it was chewed on by a mouse! I called the sewing machine store and asked if I could order a gasket for it but the man said they don’t make parts for this machine any more. I said “Oh no! What can I do for a gasket?” He told me to go to the auto parts store and buy cork because it holds up better than the original foam gasket that was in it. So I bought this thin cork and cut  1/2″ strips, because the old foam gasket looked like it was 1/2″ square. I placed my cork strips in the channel and continued around until I had the space filled in. Then I used silicone gel and glued it all together kind of thick. I had to trim some silicone off when it dried to make it smoother.

I’m happy because it’s working! The machine isn’t leaking oil!  In fact, when I leaned the head back to take this picture, it sounded like there was a real seal on it!  I probably saved myself $100 or $200 making the gasket myself and didn’t have to wait weeks for a mechanic to do it for me! Let me tell you how great this machine is. It’s a Singer 191. It’s over 20 years old and never dropped a stitch. This is a strong machine.

ok, I really want to get back to painting, but I just spent almost $100 on more fabric. I’m going to make a duvet cover for this little down filled throw a friend gave me. That’s how it is when you do a little redecorating, you can’t stop with just one thing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s