Tag Archives: alterations

my favorite tie dye shirt so far and EXCITING NEWS!

IMG_1921

IMG_1922

I’m moving to Virginia Beach in Oct! I can’t wait! I signed up for an apt in a new building made of concrete and steel. The floors won’t creak. I’ll be on the top floor (4th). It’s LUXURY, BABY! My balcony will overlook trees. My daughter lives in Norfolk, so it will be easier to get together with her, since Virginia Beach and Norfolk are connected.

They are two cities, but they look like one huge city. The population is much denser than Richmond. I’ll have so many new places to explore. A lot of places I’ve been to many times and wished I could hang around long enough to paint, now I can. I can go to the ocean front any time I want to. It will seem like being on permanent vacation!

I have a feeling it will be a good move for me.

About this shirt: It’s the ice dye method. I liked the way it came out but the bottom of the shirt had the brighter colors and the top of it was kind of blah. One good thing about adult X larges is that they are way too long on me and I have plenty of fabric to do an alteration. So, I traced the neck edge on tracing paper. I took out the stitches around the neck and sleeves and cut the shirt down 4″from the top. I lowered the sleeve holes 4″ and the shoulder seams. Then I recut the neck edge using my pattern and sewed the ribbed band back on, sewed the sleeves in and voila! It’s an improvement!

 

Advertisements

top with neck facing trim

IMG_1865

I saw this top on TV and thought it was so cute I stopped the show to look at it. I liked the 2 rows of contrasting trim around the contrasting yolk. It looked like the neck facing was on the front instead of inside the top! I was so happy I figured out a way to make it!

I have a Simplicity pattern 8061 that looks like the style I saw on TV, and easy to sew. I made it out of muslin first to check the fit and was glad I did the muslin because the top fit ok except it was too high on the neck in front, like it was practically choking me. Then I tried again with some polyester fabric and cut the neck edge down about 3/4 ” from the original pattern. It was more comfortable to wear, but still could go lower. The pattern also has a low scooped neckline, a V neck and a square neck, but I wanted the higher round one. A lot of times the piece I sew doesn’t come out looking just like the picture on the pattern.

After I changed the neckline on the front pattern piece, I also had to draw ┬ánew facing pieces to fit my alterations. Then, do the bias trim on the facing top and bottom, sew the front of the facing to the wrong side of the top. When you flip it, it looks like a pieced yolk with trim, but it’s really only a facing.

I’m going to do it again with the facing on the front in contrasting colors, and alter the pattern one more time. This time, I want to lower the neck edge a little more and lower the armholes about 1″ too. Then it will be perfect for me.

Then I want to do the Mondrian top again in my favorite colors with this pattern.