I’m standing on the bulkhead across the street from my daughter’s house in Norfolk.
The pants are Simplicity pattern 8056. The fabric is linen polyester blend. It is so cool and comfortable. That’s my favorite tie dye shirt with a beaded fringe.
I made a slope out of muslin to try the pants pattern first. When I looked at all the pieces I had to cut and all the steps to assemble it, I wondered if I could make the slope without cutting and sewing all the pieces, but then decided I had to do it as far as getting the waist band on, because it looked difficult and complicated. The pockets are 4 pieces each and the zipper has a fly. I’m used to doing slipcover zippers which are more simple. When I looked at the directions, I read the text, I looked at the illustrations, and I said to myself, “what?” I had to stop and do something else because I couldn’t figure it out. A couple days later, I tried to figure it out again and still didn’t get it, so I made a guess and that wasn’t right. At least then I could see how it was meant to go together, and I was glad I made the slope, because I needed the practice! A lot of times I sew something, I have to rip my stitches and try again, so, no big deal.
The slope did fit well. I took my measurements and compared them to the chart on the pattern. I guess I’m not a standard size. So, when I cut the muslin I cut the hips bigger and the waist smaller. There’s the first step and I was just trying to make my best guess. I really needed to make the muslin first so I could check the fit, and learn the steps to assemble the pants. It was difficult the second time too, but next time it will be easier. I want to make this in green, another blue and tan. Then I’ll be all set for summer. And in a few weeks when the lotuses bloom, I’m going out wearing this to paint, and I don’t care if I get paint on my new pants. I’ll make more. At least I’ll be comfortable and dressed better than before.