Tag Archives: Quilting Adventures

the Mondrian top in colors I like

IMG_1872This is my second try on making the Mondrian top. I like this one more because these are colors I enjoy wearing. The first time I made the top I was only trying to copy the original, but I don’t enjoy wearing red, gray, white and black. The monotony of the colors in the stores is what I’m trying to escape.

Quilting Adventures has the most beautiful cotton prints but I’ll have to iron this every time I wash it. The fabric ┬ástores don’t have as great a color selection in polyester. Maybe I could make a Mondrian sweat shirt though, because they do have nice bright colors in fleece. That’s a project for the future.

Another reason I like this version more is because it fits better. After I used the pattern 5 times, and made a few alterations to it, I got it to fit just right.

So, it took 2 tries, and it was difficult, because I’m not very experienced at piecing, but I finally made a Mondrian top that will be fun for me to wear. And I hear the style is making a comeback.

Advertisements

top with neck facing trim

IMG_1865

I saw this top on TV and thought it was so cute I stopped the show to look at it. I liked the 2 rows of contrasting trim around the contrasting yolk. It looked like the neck facing was on the front instead of inside the top! I was so happy I figured out a way to make it!

I have a Simplicity pattern 8061 that looks like the style I saw on TV, and easy to sew. I made it out of muslin first to check the fit and was glad I did the muslin because the top fit ok except it was too high on the neck in front, like it was practically choking me. Then I tried again with some polyester fabric and cut the neck edge down about 3/4 ” from the original pattern. It was more comfortable to wear, but still could go lower. The pattern also has a low scooped neckline, a V neck and a square neck, but I wanted the higher round one. A lot of times the piece I sew doesn’t come out looking just like the picture on the pattern.

After I changed the neckline on the front pattern piece, I also had to draw ┬ánew facing pieces to fit my alterations. Then, do the bias trim on the facing top and bottom, sew the front of the facing to the wrong side of the top. When you flip it, it looks like a pieced yolk with trim, but it’s really only a facing.

I’m going to do it again with the facing on the front in contrasting colors, and alter the pattern one more time. This time, I want to lower the neck edge a little more and lower the armholes about 1″ too. Then it will be perfect for me.

Then I want to do the Mondrian top again in my favorite colors with this pattern.