Tag Archives: retro

Chenille Jacket modeled by my daughter

IMG_2237

Years ago my Mom showed me a jacket pattern and asked me if I wanted one. The pattern said you should use 3 colors. Black white and gray comes out looking elegant and red white and blue is striking. Mom made 3 of these. One for herself and another one for my sister. I don’t know what colors they picked because I never saw the jackets, but I loved mine and wore it out. I kept the old original.IMG_2239

A few years ago I asked Mom if she still had the pattern but she didn’t, so I pinned the old jacket to a piece of plastic packing paper and traced around it to make a pattern. It’s a very simple jacket, with the sleeves and front and back all one piece. But it can be difficult, and I ran into a few problems. Plus it’s time consuming. I have around 40 hours in this. I made one a couple years ago with green batik fabric and didn’t like it as much as the red white and blue one of old, and the batik fabric might not give the chenille look.

You have to wet it when you’re finished sewing and run it through the dryer to fluff it up. I did that for this photo, but I still haven’t washed the green batik one, that fabric seems stiffer than this cotton.IMG_2240

This is the old one on my work table. I can’t wash it again because the strips are coming off the shell. I think I should still keep it.IMG_2243

This photo shows the inside of the new jacket. Sometimes people want to see the stitch lines. I used a watercolor pencil to draw those diagonal lines on the shell 1/2″ apart for sewing my bias strips on. There’s also a lot of hand sewing on the inside all around the edges.

It’s probably not a marketable piece, considering the time and difficulties, but I knew I’d like it, so it was worth the time. If anyone else can sew and wants to make it I’ll give the pattern to them. I might be the only one with the nerve to wear it. It is kind of loud and proud.

Advertisements

Mondrian top

img_1860Dang, mine doesn’t look as chic as the original by YSL. I’m wearing it. no one else in town has it and there will be a show of YSL styles at the VMFA in May.

I don’t have much experience with piecing, and was wondering how to do this. Our fellow blogger Linda, of Nice Dress, Thanks, I made it, gave me a good tip, and I looked it up. It seems there’s more than one version of this design from the 60s, and more than one way to make it. Any way, it looked like it would be difficult, and it was. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, but I finished it.

Maybe I shouldn’t have used cotton, because it wrinkles too easily. I don’t know what fabric YSL used.img_1855First, I made it out of lining, because patterns don’t always fit as well as I hope they will. When I tried this on, it was a little too snug to reach my arms forward. I drew charcoal lines on this, where I thought the black stripes should go. It’s just a rough marking, because I was wearing it and drawing on myself. I was glad I took the time to make it out of lining first, because it would be disappointing if I did all the work of piecing it then it was too small. Then I took this one apart and decided where to mark my paper pattern for the color blocking.

I saw some Mondrian dresses online made like a straight shift with no darts. I considered that style, but decided to use and A- line dress pattern, so it would fit me better. And I need sleeves because in the summer I get an uneven tan on my arms, from painting outdoors wearing T shirts every day. I saw the old Vogue pattern had the vertical line in the center of the dress, but I wanted mine off center like the original, so I didn’t want the Vogue pattern even if I could buy it, which might be hard to find.

I did the piecing before cutting the pattern.img_1857

When I got to this point, I knew I made a mistake. The lines match up at the side seams laying flat like this, but after I sew the darts, it will shorten the front red block and the black lines on the back would not match the lines on the front at the side seams. I had already put a lot of time into it and didn’t want to give up, so I had to take the black line off the back pieces and move it up about 1 1/2″ . So that might be the reason for making the dress as a straight shift, to eliminate that problem. I got it to work so my black lines meet at the side seams ok, though. It was just another sewing problem to figure out, and that kind of thing happens if you experiment. There’s a way to fix every mistake.

I wore it with jeans today, but it would hang better over a skirt. So a skirt is my next project. It will be a simple straight skirt.